Friday, February 19, 2010

sometimes


Sometimes I'm glad the internet didn't exist before
Otherwise i might never have met you
Or most of my friends
And other friends wouldn't have met their you's

Kept in my shell I would worry about the paperwork
the evidence would have brought down a forest
There would have been stacks of paper notes tied in ribbons and perfumed with curley-cue script and poetry verses and proclamations, pressed flowers, sketches
mortifying piles of frilliness and girlyness that I wouldn't have dared to send you,
kept in a secret box as memories of my youth, flippant girlish hopes of romance burned by
trained belief that tis' better to have spent time in study and productiveness
hope was for the other girls, not me

It took One to break down years
of prohibitions and strictures set by them and self
broken in a glance
took a weekend chance
and then We were

What's boredom to filling it in with busyiness for the sake of doing something?
Pining away one pandora song, twitter post, and facebook update at a time
trying to seem less lost in my unexpected circumstance and pretended contentment with acquired time to myself
But now that I've had so many busy friday nights
being without the Other for one makes the time tick by slower than it used to

who is this girl?
hanging on each text message and phone call
this is life's breath to my happyness

Weakened and strengthened
Changed in the fire of love
in plural terms on paths never imagined or dared to be dreamt
and hopeful yet secret for fear of curse
I will not utter or attempt to cross hope with fate
the dark cloud of possibility is a burden
that I will carry until futures unfold and are woven into the fabric of history

maybe I'll laugh when I look back from where I'll be
or memories may be piqued with a sour sweetness
picked apart, sucked dry
as I lay down my tired head at last, old and grey
clinging to memories of ancient happy times
kept locked away to make the empty time tick by faster
alone in this foreign shore
not caring if I reach the other
for everything that was important was on this one


No comments:

Post a Comment