Thursday, March 4, 2010

gypsy life

This first week of work has been quite busy - perfect for me since I don't like to be bored, and I like thinking and doing productive things. All this work has got me thinking of the last few weeks of freedom I had.

I've been traveling quite a few places the last few weekends in a row - The foothills of Orange County, the city of Milwaukee, and the Mayan coast of Mexico. This is my first weekend in a few where I don't have to leave the city. I am taking a trip to an orchid house to take photos and trade off some souvenirs from Mexico with my family. I have many tales to tell of dancing on the shores under moonlight, bartering and almost getting stranded on the island de las mujeres, swimming with dolphins and sharks, flying in a swing attached to a spinnacker, and my first time on a jetskii. There's plenty of video and photo documentation of this as well. What's funny is that I'm not tired of traveling. If I could get on a plane or train, I'd be up for a week of camping, or trekking through forests, or yet again swimming in the ocean. My braids from the plaza are just about wearing out but I'm not giving them up yet, because they're whats left of my vacation other than my summer-like tan. I'm glad to have finished with the mosquito bites and rash from sun exposure - at least that's what I believe caused the rash on my collarbone and neck area, which thankfully was limited to that region as well. The sun seems to have warmed up this far north since I left - the days appear longer as well with the sun rising so early. I can't wait for spring! I got daffodils at the grocery yesterday just to make up for the lack of color here. I miss being away.

But for now I sit in my own bed, munching on freshly baked bread that my roommates kindly made, and contemplating winding down for the evening. We watched most of "Long Way Down" a fabulous series about Ewen McGregor and his friend Scott and a team of guys traveling from the tip-top of Scotland to the bottommost portion of Africa, Cape Town. It's a well made documentary.


No comments:

Post a Comment