Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Diaspora


Movie Night

I, for the first time, watched a movie called "Sophie's Choice" because I heard so many mentions of it. It's an early 80s movie, and much to intelligent for today's audiences. I can't say that I enjoyed it, as the subject matter is difficult, but I kept watching it, which is the important part.

Meryl Streep does a wonderful job speaking with a Polish accent, and even speaking in Polish in some of the scenes-and she was very young in this film but really hasn't looked like she's changed much over the years. Her character is fragile, broken, angry- she envies the brave- you want to know what has caused her to become this shell of a person. And the movie pieces it together bit by bit - I think that's what kept me watching it.

It was worth it to watch the movie, and I felt a connection to it in an odd way. I'm of Polish decent, I've been to Auschwitz, I learned to speak English and remember the frustration of not remembering how to say something, and I've heard the stories of what the Germans and Russians did, the Polish diaspora. There was an odd juxtaposition of everyday amongst the horrible there. And there were many things in the movie that someways made me want to connect with the characters in the film. Anyway, it will take me a while to fully process how the movie made me feel because my brain is still wrapping around it.


The Status of the Industry

A little bit ago, after putzing around trying to figure out how to get into doing graphic design as a job - well I went to a group meeting. Kinda like AA for designers, where everyone's supposed to show up, tell who they are, network, and hopefully you get some supportive commentary from the elders. Well, at least that's what I thought it was going to be. I was wrong. I felt it was more of a meeting where the elders complained about the internet, the lack of jobs, how the industry has tanked, and how new artists aren't willing to foot the bill to join up in the league. I'm hoping the next meeting isn't so disparaging, but this time I'll be prepared to hear all the complaining.


I came across this flickr picture on notcot.org

No comments:

Post a Comment